BSBMGT605B Assessment Task 1
Communicate organisational mission and goals
|Candidate’s name||Phone no.|
|Assessor’s name||Phone no.|
The Assessment Task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See specifications below for details.
Candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills required to communicate organisational mission and goals.
Using the workplace scenario information provided, you will address expectations of an organisation to investigate incidents in accordance with legal and organisational requirements. You will also address expectations to communicate organisational mission and goals to internal stakeholders.
- Review the simulated business documentation, including policies and procedures, in the Appendix 1 ‘Max Lionel Realty’. Review templates contained in Appendix 2 ‘Templates’ for possible use or adaptation in completing assessment task requirements.
- Review the information in Scenario 1 below. and fill out an incident report in connection with the WHS incident. Complete a risk assessment based on the information provided by the HR Manager. Update the organisational risk register.
- Review the information in Scenario 2 below and prepare a presentation on the managers’ WHS responsibilities. Ensure you:
- explain the organisation’s mission, values and strategic directions
- explain the link between the organisation’s objectives, standards, relevant legislation and the responsibilities of managers and agents for a safe workplace
- state expectations of managers in a way designed to build commitment and support by managers; use persuasive language and deploy an appropriate leadership style
- use appropriate media to achieve objectives of presentation.
- Deliver presentation.
- Submit documentation as per specifications below.
|You are the Operations General Manager at Max Lionel Realty (MLR). You are responsible for the day-to-day running of the company. You oversee the coordination of activities that occur within the Residential, Commercial, and Investments branches of the company. You are responsible for overseeing projects which affect operations of the organisation as a whole. You work with the HR manager to coordinate systems and projects to achieve cooperation and coordination across the company.
A WHS incident recently occurred at the Commercial office of Max Lionel Realty. Although it is the Commercial Manager’s responsibility to investigate WHS incidents, they have not done so. You decide to step in. In accordance with the recently implemented WHS management system you must:
● investigate incidents
● complete an incident report
● perform risk assessment
● update risk register.
The records you create of the incident need to be submitted to the HR Manager (assessor) for storage as per records management policy.
Details of the incident
● Last Wednesday, a client, who was running late decided to leave through the emergency exit and stairwell, falling and breaking her wrist.
● The exit door was blocked by boxes of paper.
|Scenario 1 (continued)|
|● One of the agents heard calls for help, managed to open the exit and help the client.
● Not realising what had happened, or the seriousness of the accident, the agent criticised the client’s high heels, implying that such a thing would never happen to a man. ‘Any sensible woman would take the lift’.
● The client was humiliated.
● The client was taken to the Royal Women’s Hospital by ambulance.
● She is threatening to sue MLR for injuries, loss of income and mental trauma.
● Another agent noticed a strange odour and an oily substance on the stairwell.
● This agent reported the incident verbally to the Commercial Realty Manager.
● This incident has only just become known to the HR manager, who has been contacted by both the client’s lawyer and the Office of the Human Rights Ombudsman.
● Several incidents in which managers have failed to undertake WHS management system responsibilities have occurred recently. For example, record-keeping has been incomplete.
● Consultation with agents, WHS committee meetings not occurred.
● The organisation’s original target was to reduce the number of WHS incidents by 25%; however, after initial success, enthusiasm for the system has worn off and incident rates are only just lower than they were when the system was initiated.
|You are the Operations General Manager at Max Lionel Realty. You have recently investigated a serious WHS incident.
You have determined that the incident may represent a systemic breakdown in compliance with the organisation’s WHS management system. This system has only recently been implemented and clearly the requisite practices have not been embedded.
Your legal and ethical responsibility is clear. You have a legal and ethical responsibility as a manager to minimise workplace hazards. Moreover, in accordance with organisational change management processes, you need to ensure organisational support by regularly reviewing compliance and acting immediately to intervene to ensure organisational objectives and minimise risk.
You need to ensure managers are aware of and comply with the following responsibilities under the WHS management system and WHS legislation:
● consult with agents on WHS issues to continually identify any potential risks
● regularly conduct WHS committee meetings to address risk across the organisation
● regularly assess potential workplace hazards
● act proactively to reduce risk
● update the risk register.
You have decided to prepare a presentation to managers to ensure compliance.
Your objective is to ensure a smooth implementation of the WHS management system. Accordingly, you don’t want to single out or embarrass any one manager. Rather, you want to ensure enthusiastic support by underscoring the importance of implementation of the WHS management system with respect to Max Lionel’s mission and organisational goals.
You will need to ensure you demonstrate and support ethical attitudes and practices.
- plan and deliver a presentation to managers
- incident report, risk analysis and updated risk register
- presentation notes, PowerPoint slides, etc.
Your assessor will be looking for:
- interpersonal skills to communicate and inspire trust and confidence of others and to ensure their cooperation and support
- risk management skills to analyse, identify and develop mitigation strategies for identified risks
- knowledge of business ethics and their application
- knowledge of leadership styles and their application
- knowledge of legislation, codes and by laws relevant to the organisation’s operations
- knowledge of organisation mission, purpose and values
- knowledge of organisation objectives, plans and strategies
- knowledge of organisational change processes.
Adjustment for distance-based learners
- No variation of the task is required.
- A follow-up interview may be required (at the discretion of the assessor).
- Documentation can be submitted electronically or posted in the mail.
- Meetings/presentations may be conducted and observed live or via an appropriate teleconferencing tool.